TA leaders of Cielo, Raytheon discuss affirmative action next steps >> Catch the webinar today!
27 Interview questions to gauge communication skills
Effective communication skills are highly valued by recruiters and hiring teams as they set candidates apart from their peers. Studies indicate that 73% of employers specifically seek candidates with exceptional communication abilities. To assess a candidate’s communication prowess, asking the appropriate interview questions becomes crucial.
Within this article, you will discover a collection of 27 interview questions tailored to comprehensively evaluate a candidate’s communication skills. These questions encompass general communication inquiries and queries focusing on related competencies such as empathy and attention to detail.
General Communication Skills Interview Questions
- Share an instance where you had to explain a complex idea to a colleague. How did you approach the task and ensure effective comprehension?
- Recall a situation where you failed to document crucial information despite its importance. What were the consequences, and what lessons did you learn from this experience?
- Discuss a sensitive scenario (that you are comfortable sharing) that demanded intentional and careful communication on your part.
- Describe a time when you had to express your opinion in a meeting or project setting.
- Narrate an incident where you successfully communicated with someone, even when you were uncertain about the value they placed on your perspective.
- Reflect on a time when you withheld critical information from your manager or colleague. What were the outcomes, and how did you grow from this situation?
- Explain a situation where you effectively utilized your written communication skills to convey your viewpoint clearly.
- Provide an example of a time when you furnished a direct report with information that aided them in making a sound decision.
- Describe an occasion when your communication skills were vital in accomplishing a project or task successfully.
- Discuss a time when you experienced a misunderstanding with a colleague. How did you overcome communication barriers and resolve the issue?
- Share an example of when your delayed information sharing with your team members or direct reports had a negative impact.
Empathy Interview Questions
- Share an instance when you noticed a colleague feeling down and how you provided encouragement or support.
- Explain your approach to ensuring team members and colleagues feel heard during interactions, particularly in virtual settings.
- Describe a time when you used empathy to transform a negative situation into a positive one.
- Discuss a challenging situation where active listening posed difficulties. What were the outcomes of that interaction?
- Narrate an experience when you detected negative emotions in a colleague and adapted your communication to overcome the situation.
- Recall a time when you made a mistake due to insufficient listening to a team member. How did you rectify the situation?
- Share an example of a situation where you didn’t effectively handle emotional dynamics with coworkers.
- Give an example of a time when you demonstrated emotional control and constructive filtering during a difficult situation.
- Describe an occasion when you had to deliver challenging news to a team member.
- Tell me about a time when you didn’t show compassion to a team member. What valuable insights did you gain from that experience?
Attention to Detail Interview Questions
- Recount a situation where your keen attention to detail prevented you from making a mistake in your written work.
- Share an example of how your meticulous attention to detail facilitated clear communication of a complex idea or project to your team.
- Describe an instance when you noticed a writing mistake that your colleagues had overlooked.
- Narrate a scenario where attention to detail was either crucial or not significant in the task you were working on.
- Provide an example of a time when you encountered challenges while communicating the details of a project.
- Describe a situation when you prioritized focusing on the big picture instead of paying sufficient attention to the finer details.
Jackie brings over a decade of HR technology experience to Clovers. She’s passionate about helping companies build talented and diverse (dream) teams and delivering an incredible hiring experience to everyone involved.